Friday, December 15, 2006

Acting skills..

Theatre acting in particular , and generally any kind of acting seems at the first look a very simple task. There are lines. Learn them up - speak them out. With the right emotions ofcourse. And the right volume. And diction. And feel. And who the heck writes those lines?

A good regime to get yourself going will be the following:
Ask yourself the following questions. Give a 0 for a NO. A 1 for a YES.
* Am I bad at speaking the language i'm supposed to act in?
* Is Kareena Kapoor my favorite actress?
* Was I the most soft spoken bloke in class?
* Will i die at 4 hrs a day sleep?
* Is my face totally expressionless?

Any non-zero score implies a non-fit person.

Any swagger in the walk can be worked on. What we also have to work on is understanding emotions/expressions and be able to match them together. For example, in my second play, my diro noticed that what I believed was "thoughtfulness" no my part was looking more a detective's "look" ! we called it the "Sherlock"

Looking down too much, or above ppls' heads is another common imperfection. Again, workable.

Volume is workable as well. But only till a point. In comes the concept of projection and being able to speak out of ur lungs instead of the throat directly. Perform in an auditorium as weird as BITS Pilani and u'll need a lot of those projection skills.

abhi itna hi..

1 comment:

Thoda Khao Thoda Phenko said...

i will die at four hours a day sleep......